International Students Changing Status to F-1

International Students Changing Status to F-1

If you are non-U. S citizen or permanent Resident (green card holder) who is already in the U.S. and would like a change your status to an F-1 International student, follow the requirements and application checklist below.

1. Complete Midwestern Career College’s online Application Form.

All prospective students must submit an application for admission. If more information is needed, an admissions representative may contact the applicant. All information given to admissions is important and must be truthful and accurate. Any section that is not completed or that contains misleading or inaccurate information may jeopardize consideration for admissions to the College.

2. Pay a nonrefundable application fee of $500.

3. Copy of F-1 Visa, passport and I-94 Form.

4. Proof of sufficient funds:

If you are paying for your own tuition and fees:
Provide an original bank statement issued within 45 days from the date of application.

If someone else is paying for your tuition and fees:

US citizen or resident: an original Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) and their original bank statement issued within 45 days from the date of application

Non-US citizen or resident: a notarized affidavit of support letter their original bank statement issued within 45 days from the date of application.

The bank statement should show the minimum funds:

$26,750 for AAS in Diagnostic Medical Sonography
$26,250 for AAS in Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Technology
$25,125 for AAS in Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Sonography
$13,000 for AAS in Business Administration
$17,500 for AAS in Information Technology
$12,100 for V/ESL programs.
Each Dependent: additional $3,000/year for VESL/ESL  and $4,000/year for all other programs.

View Financial Affidavit of Support Requirements

5. Provide a translated and evaluated copy of your high school diploma or fill out a High School Attestation Form.

High School graduation is required for admission to all programs.

6. Provide a translated and evaluated copy of your College/University Transcripts and/or Diploma/Certificate.

All documents that are not from a U.S institution must be evaluated. All evaluations must be completed by an approved NACES agency. Transcripts in a language other than English must also include an official English translation.

If you would like to transfer credits into one of MCC’s Associate Degree programs, your transcripts must be evaluated on a course-by course basis. Otherwise, only general evaluation to determine US equivalency is required.

7. Prospective Students applying for the Vocational English as a Second Language Program (VESL) must provide proof that they have basic workplace skills (Higher Education credentials, industry recognized certification(s), or 3rd. party work experience verification).

8. Take placement tests, if applicable.

9. A letter of explanation stating why you would like to change your status (Change of Status Explanation Letter – 539) and study at Midwestern Career College.

10. Completed I-539 form.

11. Pay $370 for the I-539 filing fee.

After your change of status has been approved:

12. Provide proof of payment of $200 to SEVIS at

13. DS-2019 Form (J-1 applicants only).

14. Copy of SSN card (J-1 applicants only).

15. Proof of foreign residency.

16. Marriage certificate (if applicable).

17. Birth certificate (s) for child dependent (s) (if applicable).

18. After the forms listed above are submitted and approved, applicants must take the online entrance placement exam.

19. If the applicant passes the entrance exam, their entire profile will be reviewed by the International Student Admissions Office. If the student is accepted, they will be mailed an I-20.

20. Once the applicant receives their I-20, they will mail this and the documents listed below to USCIS.

Documents needed for USCIS: passport bio page (copy), visa (copy), I-94 form, I-539 form, explanation letter, support letter, bank statement, acceptance letter and proof of education from home country.

21. Upon mailing their I-20 package, USCIS will issue a receipt number from USCIS.

22. Once the applicant receives official notice from USCIS of their acceptance, the applicant must provide Midwestern Career College with the I-797 form from USCIS in order to begin the enrollment process.

More on international students

Admissions Contact Info


100 South Wacker Drive, LL 1-55
Chicago, IL 60606

312-236-9000 ext. 2


Business Hours:

Mon – Thu 9:00A.M. – 6:00 P.M.

Fri 9:00A.M. – 4:00 P.M.

Request Info

request information

Accessibility Toolbar