F1 International Student Status

F-1 Visa

This visa is issued to nonimmigrants admitted to the United States temporarily to pursue full-time academic studies in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, and certain language training programs. This visa is issued to prospective students by a U.S. embassy or consulate after a thorough interview. Current F-1 visa holders may also transfer to MCC.

Upon the completion of the MCC admissions process and payment of the application fee, Midwestern Career College issues an I-20 form to the student. The student then takes the I-20 to a U.S. embassy or consulate in his or her country of residence, along with the acceptance letter from MCC and the affidavit of support with accompanying original copies of bank statements.

After the I-20 is issued, students must pay a $100 fee through the website //www.fmjfee.com, which the U.S. Government charges to register new students in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) system.

After the interview, U.S. embassy or consular officials will then issue F-1 visas to students who have demonstrated sufficiently strong family, social or economic ties to their place of residence to ensure their return after completion of studies.

At the time of application, the student’s passport should be valid for at least three years.

F-2 Visa

The spouse and minor children accompanying, or following to join, an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status if the student is admitted in F-1 status.

A new SEVIS form I-20 is required for a dependent where there has been any substantive change in the F-1 student’s current information, such as an extension of the end date of the program, a change of program, or a change of school.

I-20 Form

The official title of SEVIS form I-20 is “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Studies.” This form tells USCIS (United States Citizen & Immigration Services) who you are, where you live, what you intend to study, how long your studies will take, and how you plan to pay for your expenses while in school.

If you are granted F-1 status, your form I-20 is the most important document you will possess. A current form I-20 also serves as evidence of the legality of your presence in the U.S.

Once a student arrives in the U.S., he or she must continue a course of study at Midwestern Career College without interruption for at least one term.


Here is a brief description of necessary forms, documents and fees included in the process of obtaining F1 student visa in your home country (interview in a U.S. embassy or consulate required).

Application Form

International students must submit an application for admission. If more information is needed an admissions representative may contact the applicant. All information given to admissions is important and must be truthful and accurate. Any section that is not completed or that contains misleading or inaccurate information may jeopardize consideration for admissions to the university.


Affidavit of Support (Proof of Availability of Funds)

Prospective international students are required to demonstrate proof of availability of funds when they apply for an F-1 student visa, regardless of whether they are inside or outside of the United States at the time of application.

USCIS (United States Custom and Imigration Services) counselors or officers at the local U.S. embassy must ensure that students can live in the U.S. and pay their tuition without working. Proof of availability of funds can be demonstrated either directly by prospective students or indirectly through sponsorship.

Prospective students who are at least 21 years of age may provide a letter from their bank showing availability of funds in accounts under their name. The total balance of all accounts should be greater than $31,000 for Healthcare Programs and $11,400 for ESL Program. Banks may be located either inside or outside the United States. However, the letter must be either in English or translated into English by a notarized translator. All account balances must be stated in or translated into dollars.

To provide proof availability of funds through sponsorship, a U.S. citizen or a legal resident of the U.S. must fill out Affidavit of Support (I-134 form) declaring his or her intent to support the student with tuition, room and board, and living costs. Form I-134 does not constitute legal obligation, but is solely a declaration of intent. The sponsor also needs to provide a letter from his or her bank, reflecting existence of funds (minimum $31,000 for Healthcare Programs and $11,400 for ESL, preferably in the savings account, plus $4,000 additionally for each dependent, such as a spouse or children). The sponsor also must provide a letter from his or her employer stating annual salary or a copy of the prior year’s federal tax return.

In cases where parents sponsor the student, they need to make an official declaration through a letter notarized by a notary public that they will provide support for room and board, living expenses and transportation costs and that they will also cover the tuition for the duration of the student’s entire course of study. Parents also must provide a letter from a bank showing a current balance of at least $31,000 for Healthcare Programs and $11,400 for ESL per student. Letters should be in English and notarized by notary public. Students must present their birth certificate as well.


Official high school, college or university transcripts are required. They must be in English or translated into English. Transcripts form foreign universities must be evaluated by an acceptable US based agency ( www.ece.gov) in order to transfer credits to Midwestern Career College.


Tuition and Fees

Students must be prepared to finance their education individually or from outside sources. Midwestern Career College financial aid and scholarships are not available to cover tuition.

  • For healthcare programs, the annual tuition varies by program, up to $13,000.
  • For the English as a Second Language program, the tuition is $1200 per term with a $90 lab fee.

No scholarships are available for this program.

Related Useful Links

Questions? Contact Us

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Izabela Shamanava, Director of International Admissions, by telephone at (312) 236-9000, by fax at (312) 277-1007, or by email at ishamanava@mccollege.edu

More on

request information

Accessibility Toolbar