Winter 2021 Enrollment is now open!
For information, please contact (312) 236-9000 EXT. 2 or email@example.com.
|Registration & Payment Deadline||01/04/2021|
|Term Start Date||01/11/2021|
|Term End Date||03/29/2021|
The Midwestern Career College English as a Second Language Program is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period August 2018 through August 2023 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S. For further information about this accreditation, please contact CEA, 1001 N. Fairfax Street, Suite 630, Alexandria, VA 22314, (703) 665-3400, www.cea-accredit.org.
This program is not accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education and does not qualify for Title IV financial aid assistance.
ESL Program Mission
Provide non-native speakers of English with the English language, academic, and cultural skills that will enable them to further their education in U.S. colleges or universities and/or gain employment in their native countries.
English for Academic Purposes is designed for advanced (C2) ESL students who wish to further develop their academic skills and understanding of US culture in preparation for admission to or study in US colleges and universities. Through wide reading of various types of texts; listening to and taking notes on lectures; building academic report-writing and research skills; and discussion of US values and eras, students will strengthen their ability to succeed in institutions of higher learning in the U.S.
English For Academic Purposes Courses:
- TOEFL iBT Preparation
- Understanding US Culture
- Academic Writing from Sources
- Critical Reading and Thinking Skills in English: US Fiction
- Critical Reading and Thinking in English: US Nonfiction
- IELTS Test Preparation
To take English for Academic Purposes courses, students must complete ESL060 Advanced Grammar, Reading, Listening and Speaking, and Writing courses or earn a minimum total score of C2 Advanced on the Michigan EPT.
The goals of this program are to help students to:
- Understand and annotate college-level texts.
- Recognize typical lecture structures and learn systems for lecture notetaking.
- Find reliable sources of information and cite them correctly.
- Organize, write, and edit research-based reports.
- Practice answering the types of questions typically asked on English-language proficiency exams.
- Learn the origins of shared US cultural values and systems of government.
- Tuition: $1,500 per 11-week term
- Technology Fee: $90 per term
- Books: FREE
- This program does not qualify for Title IV financial aid assistance.
MCC offers flexible schedules. Students must attend 18 hours per week.
Convenient Locations in Downtown Chicago and Skokie
Chicago (Main Campus)
100 South Wacker Drive, LL 1-50
Chicago, IL 60606
- CTA Trains: Washington/Wells stop on the CTA Red, Blue, Brown, Green, Pink and Orange lines
- Ogilvie Transportation Center (Metra)
- Union Station (Metra and Amtrak)
Chicago LaSalle (Branch Campus)
203 North LaSalle Street
Chicago, IL 60601
For parking instructions for our Downtown locations click here.
Skokie (Campus Extension)
5202 Old Orchard Road
Skokie, IL 60077
Skokie campus extension offers free parking
ESL Student Handbook
Learn English in Chicago