The Midwestern Career College English as a Second Language Program is accredited by the Commission on English Language Program Accreditation for the period August 2018 through August 2023 and agrees to uphold the CEA Standards for English Language Programs and Institutions. CEA is recognized by the U.S. Secretary of Education as a nationally recognized accrediting agency for English language programs and institutions in the U.S. For further information about this accreditation, please contact CEA, 1001 N. Fairfax Street, Suite 630, Alexandria, VA 22314, (703) 665-3400, www.cea-accredit.org. This program is not accredited by the Commission of the Council on Occupational Education and does not qualify for Title IV financial aid assistance.
For information, please contact (312) 236-9000, extension 2.
ESL Program Mission
Provide non-native speakers of English with the English language, academic, and cultural skills that will enable them to further their education in U.S. colleges or universities and/or gain employment in their native countries.
Professional English is designed for advanced (C2) English language learners who wish to develop language and communication skills needed to work effectively with English-speaking clients or in English-speaking workplaces. Students will acquire workplace vocabulary; an understanding of US workplace communication norms; speaking clarity and fluency in formal and informal exchanges; collaboration skills; and the ability to compose common types of business writing. Through reading and discussion, role plays, presentations, writing and collaborative projects, and the creation of portfolios, students will gain the vocabulary as well as the reading, writing, speaking, listening, and cultural skills necessary to pursue English language–related professional goals.
Professional English Courses:
- Professional English
- Presentation Skills for English Language Learners
- English Skills for Success
- Interpersonal Communication Skills in the United States
- Business Writing for English Language Learners
- Professional English for Marketing
To take Professional English courses, students must complete ESL060 Advanced Grammar, Reading, Listening and Speaking, and Writing courses or earn a minimum total score of C2 Advanced on the Michigan EPT.
Students will build English workplace vocabulary and language skills enabling them to speak confidently as well as accurately write and interpret written and oral business-oriented English. More specifically, students will:
- Demonstrate English reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills at a level sufficient to communicate effectively with English speakers in work situations.
- Apply principles of effective interpersonal, cross-cultural, and nonverbal communication.
- Collaborate effectively with classroom work partners and in classroom work groups.
- Use clear and correct English to complete a variety of business-related written tasks, including emails, memos, agendas, minutes, summaries, and proposals.
- Promote one’s own skills and professional assets in documents written in English and oral interviews conducted in English.
- Tuition: $1,400 per 11-week term
- Lab Fee: $90 per term
- Books: FREE
- This program does not qualify for Title IV financial aid assistance.
MCC offers flexible schedules. Students must attend 18 hours per week.
Convenient Location in Downtown Chicago
- CTA Trains: Washington/Wells stop on the CTA Red, Blue, Brown, Green, Pink and Orange lines
- Ogilvie Transportation Center (Metra)
- Union Station (Metra and Amtrak)
Validated parking is available at 230 West Washington Avenue with student ID.
ESL Student Handbook
Spring 2020 Term
|Registration & Payment Deadline||04/13/2020|
|Orientation||04/13 or 04/14/2020|
|Term Start Date||04/20/2020|
|Term End Date||07/05/2020|
Learn English in Chicago