About Our Program
Midwestern Career College’s Associate of Applied Science Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography program prepares students with the general education, applied knowledge, technical skills, and work habits required for entry-level positions in the Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography technology field.
Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography involves the administration of X-rays, gamma rays, or other ionizing radiation to produce images of the human body for diagnostic purposes. Radiographers take X-rays (radiographs) and perform a variety of diagnostic imaging procedures. The images are used to carefully diagnose illness, disease and injury.
Professional Licensure & Certification
Approved by the Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE) and accredited by ARRT which recognizes COE approved programs.
Graduates of our program are eligible:
- To sit for Registered Radiography Technologist certification by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT)
- To apply for Illinois license in Accreditation in Medical Radiography by the Illinois Emergency Management Agency (IEMA)
About the Program
The goals of the Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography program are to provide education and training to students so they possess the knowledge and skills required for employment as entry-level radiography technologists, and:
- To develop interpersonal skills for communicating with patients and medical professionals
- To develop critical thinking skills
- To help acquire skills that enable proper patient care
- To provide students with clinical skills and problem-solving abilities to practice in the magnetic resonance imaging field
- To produce graduates who will be competent in entry-level positions as a Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography technologist and who display appropriate behaviors as set forth by the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
- To prepare students to take and pass the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT) examinations.
810 hours of externship are required for program completion.
Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography is a great career choice. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, jobs are expected to grow 7% from 2019–2029.
Learn more about the career outlook for radiography technologists.
MCC’s Associate of Applied Science in Diagnostic Medical Imaging Radiography program follows the curriculum recommendations and guidelines of:
- Consumer Information
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES), Illinois Virtual Labor Market Information System
- The Occupational Information Network (O*NET)
- Professional Licensure or Certification Disclosures
- Tuition and Fees