Surgical Technologist II
Rush University Medical Center is looking to hire a highly motivated Surgical Technologist II to be part of our Operating Room Department!
The Surgical Technologist II assists in patient care and surgical services under the supervision of a registered nurse. The primary responsibility of this position is to carry out the function of the scrub role during surgical procedures. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
- Applies the correct principles of aseptic technique and the correct techniques of disinfection and antisepsis
- Prepares instrumentation and equipment for decontamination per service protocols.
- Demonstrates advanced operating room technical skills and versatility by the ability to function in all surgical services.
- Prioritizes scrub activities based upon the type of surgical procedure and the needs of the surgical team members.
- Correctly pulls and prepares sutures/other specified supplies per Epic preference cards
- Self-directed in coordinating scrub activities for complex surgical procedures.
- Assumes responsibility for proper functioning and maintenance of equipment in the room as delegated by the RN
- Identifies specialty instruments by type, function and name.
- Accounts for sponges, needles and instruments according to operating services policies and procedures.
- Notifies the surgical team when any sponge, needle or instrument count is incorrect
- Maintains an orderly sterile field, Mayo stand and back table throughout the surgical procedures.
- Demonstrates knowledge of progressive steps in multiple surgical procedures. .
- Disposes biohazard waste per policy and procedure.
- Actively participates in maintaining each patient’s dignity and safety at all times.
- Works, collaboratively with all members of the health care team to assure that (1) each patient’s privacy is protected and (2) every patient record is considered strictly confidential.
- Functions in an efficient manner at all times.
- Demonstrates sound judgment and decision making at all times.
- Serves as a role model for peers by demonstrating initiative an self-direction.
- Notifies the Schedule Board Coordinator (designee) when assignments are completed and when leaving the operating room during work hours
- Assists nursing personnel by carrying out additional duties as delegated.
- HS Diploma/GED equivalent required.
- Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technologist program is required.
- Current certification by the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting preferred.
- Minimum two years experience as a Surgical Technologist
- Serves as a procedural resource for 1 or more surgical services.
- On-call responsibility
- Analytical ability and communication skill is required in order to teach
- Must be able to interact effectively with others in difficult situations
- Work requires the ability to walk throughout the Medical Center and to be standing or walking most of the designated shift
- Work requires lifting or carrying objects 35-40lbs. and lifting and positioning patients, some of whom may exceed 300 lbs.
- The ability to check documents for errors and use a keyboard to enter or retrieve data
- The ability to check documents for errors and use a keyboard to enter or retrieve data.
- Work conditions include performing procedures where carelessness could result in injury or illness and contact with potentially infectious materials and/or strong chemical agents.
- Rush was recently ranked among the top 20 hospitals in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
- Rush was recently ranked first for Quality and Accountability among 102 leading academic medical centers in the US in a study conducted by the health care services company Vizient.
- Ranked among the top academic medical centers in the country, Rush University Medical Center is an outstanding place to enhance your career. Everything we do centers on one goal: improving patient care.
- Rush offers a competitive salary, and valuable healthy living benefits including: health, dental and vision to help you maintain and improve your health. Rush also offers several ways to invest in your future.
Rush is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics.
To apply, please complete an application at www.jobsatrush.com and send your resume to Denise Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org.