Midwestern Career College’s Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Sonography (Degree) program prepares students with the general education, applied knowledge, technical skills, and work habits required for entry-level positions in the field of cardiovascular sonography.
Graduates of this program will have sufficient knowledge and skills to work in an ultrasound or sonography center or a hospital’s sonography department as an ultrasound (echo) technician. Typical tasks include operating the systems and perform ultrasound (echo) procedures, as well as registering patients and setting up appointments.
Students will receive hands-on training in cardiac ultrasound and vascular ultrasound on Acuson, Toshiba, Philips and GE machines.
This program consists of two modules:
- Certified Cardiology Technician (CCT)
- Noninvasive Cardiovascular (Echo) Sonographer
Certified Cardiographic Technician (CCT)
Midwestern Career College’s Certified Cardiographic Technician (CCT) module offers a comprehensive curriculum that prepares students for entry-level positions in the cardiac technology field in a medical center or a hospital cardiology department.
Classroom instruction covers patient care, cardiac anatomy, physiology and pathology, EKG/ECG, Holter monitoring and stress testing.
Non-Invasive Cardiovascular (Echo) Sonographer
MCC’s Noninvasive Cardiovascular (Echo) Sonographer module covers the noninvasive diagnosis and treatment of patients with cardiac (heart) and peripheral vascular (blood vessels) disease. It is a multidisciplinary science requiring the technologist to be trained and educated to utilize state-of-the-art equipment to recognize, calculate, interpret and analyze data derived from the cardiac study.
- Provide education and training to students so that the students possess the knowledge and skills required for employment as an entry-level cardiovascular sonographer.
- Provide sufficient didactic and hands on lab education regarding Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Sonographer tasks in a cardiac lab, medical center, technology center or hospital.
- Discuss clinical activities in which the student will apply critical thinking skills.
- Provide understanding of patient care procedures in the cardiac field.
- Provide hands-on training to perform diagnostic tests like EKG/ECG and stress EKG.
- Provide understanding of performing Holter monitoring.
- Prepare students to take and pass the Certified Cardiographic Technician (CCT) examination.
- Prepare students to perform effectively as skilled allied health professionals with skills needed to meet the demand for quality employees.
Students must complete a 450-hour externship in ultrasound at one of our affiliated hospitals or medical centers. They may also complete an optional 120-hour externship for CCT.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (B.L.S.), 26% growth is projected over the next decade. B.L.S. also has information on career outlook and salary expectations. Check out job listings in the Chicagoland area for cardiovascular sonographers on Indeed, Career Builder, and Monster.com.
Graduates of this program are eligible for national certification as a Certified Cardiographic Technician through the Cardiovascular Credentialing International (CCI) Registry.
This college does not provide certification eligibility for cardiovascular sonography. However, graduates may qualify for the Registered Diagnostic Cardiac Sonographer (RDCS) credential through ARDMS or the Registered Cardiac Sonographer (RCS) credential through the CCI Registry if they have:
- a two-year degree in allied healthcare
- a four-year degree prior to the start of this program, or
- one year of work experience in the sonography field from the date of graduation of this program.
The Non-Invasive Cardiovascular Sonography (Degree) program curriculum follows the recommendations of the American Society of Radiologic Technologists (ASRT) Cardiac-Interventional and Vascular-Interventional Curriculum Guide and the joint committee of the Association of Educators in Imaging and Radiological Sciences (AEIRS). It addresses the topics listed in the Cardiovascular Credentialing International outline for the Certified Cardiographic Technician (CCT) examination and follows the rules and regulations of the American College of Radiology (ACR).
- Consumer Information
- Gainful Employment
- U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Illinois Department of Employment Security (IDES), Illinois Virtual Labor Market Information System
- The Occupational Information Network (O*NET)
- Tuition and Fees