Surgical Technologist Lead
Department: Operating Room
Work Type: Full Time (Total FTE between 0.9 and 1.0)
Shift: Shift 1
Work Schedule: 8-hour
The Surgical Technologist Lead assist in patient care and surgical services under the supervision of a registered nurse. The primary responsibility of this person is to carry out the function of the scrub role during surgical procedures. Exemplifies The Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures. Exemplifies the Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
• Applies the correct principles of aseptic technique.
• Establishes and protects the integrity of the sterile field and back table at all times.
• Recognizes breaks in technique by self and others. Takes corrective action and reports events to RN in
• Handles/secures instruments, cords, and draping materials utilizing aseptic technique.
• Applies the correct techniques of disinfection and antisepsis.
• Prepares instrumentation and equipment for decontamination per established protocol.
• Demonstrates advanced operating room technical skills.
• Participates in routine cases with minimal direction using the guidelines of the preference cards.
• Demonstrates competency in scrubbing all assigned surgical procedures.
• Prioritizes scrub activities based upon the type of surgical procedure and the needs of the surgical team
members. Active participation in time out process.
• Correctly pulls and prepares sutures/other specified supplies per Operating Room Information
• System preference cards. Updates cards as needed.
• Obtains and safely assembles necessary equipment specific to the surgical procedure, surgeon
preference and individual patient needs.
• Assists in opening sterile supplies.
• Applies knowledge of anatomy and physiology to individualize set up for surgical procedures.
• Self‐directed in coordinating scrub activities for complex surgical procedures.
• Cares for and handles surgical instruments/equipment according to Operating Room protocols.
• Demonstrates manual dexterity in handling instruments and equipment.
• Assumes responsibility for proper functioning of equipment and maintenance of equipment in
the room as delegated by the RN.
• Identifies specialty instruments by type, function, and name.
• Accounts for sponges, needles, instruments, and other miscellaneous counted items according to
• Operating Room policies and procedures.
• Notifies the surgical team of any sponge, needle, instrument or miscellaneous count that is
• Uses repeat back communications and key words for safety concerns.
• Maintains an orderly sterile field, Mayo stand and back table throughout the surgical procedure.
• Demonstrates knowledge of progressive steps in multiple surgical procedures
• Anticipates the needs of the surgical team.
• Communicates variation in surgical procedure to RN
• Anticipates emergent circumstances and communicates the information to the RN.
• Dons personal protective equipment according to policy and procedure.
• Disposes of biohazard waste appropriately.
Required Job Qualifications:
• Graduate of accredited ORT Program
• 1 or more years of clinical experience OR current certification by the association of surgical technologist
• Analytic ability.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
• Effective written and oral communication skills utilizing repeat back strategies for patient safety and
• Must be able to interact effectively with others in difficult situations.
• Flexibility with schedule to accommodate staffing needs
• Organizational skills for timely processes.
• Ability to document using electronic medical record systems, to check documents for errors and use a
• keyboard to enter or retrieve data.
*** There are several Surgical Technologist jobs open at Rush. Use the link below to browse job listings. Once you have applied online email your resume, and the desired job to Nadia Saleh in Career Services at email@example.com