Howard Brown Health Center is currently looking to hire Medical Assistants for several of their clinics throughout the Chicagoland area. Howard Brown Health is one of the nation’s largest lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ) organizations. We serve more than 35,000 adults and youth in our diverse health and social service delivery system focused around seven major programmatic divisions: primary medical care, behavioral health, research, HIV/STI prevention, youth services, elder services, and community initiatives. Howard Brown serves men, women, trans and gender non-conforming folks, infants, youth, and children through a multi-site operation based in Chicago that includes a main health and research center in the Uptown neighborhood, Howard Brown Health Sheridan, and our other clinics Howard Brown Health Halsted in Lakeview, Howard Brown Health Clark in Rogers Park, Howard Brown Health 63rd Street in Englewood, Howard Brown Health 55th Street in Hyde Park, Howard Brown Health at Thresholds South in Back of the Yards, Howard Brown Health at La Casa Norte in Humboldt Park, the Broadway Youth Center, and three Brown Elephant resale shops in Chicago (Lakeview and Andersonville neighborhoods) and Oak Park.
Under the supervision and direction of the staff nurses and primary care providers, provides direct patient care and clerical support. Performs other related duties as assigned.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Carries out policies and procedures developed to maintain infection control and safety.
- Performs duties according to approved policies and procedures relating to OSHA and Standard Precautions.
- Performs routine clinical functions to include but not be limited to: vital signs, weight, blood pressure, urine sugar/protein dips, and hematest.
- Multiple site assignments as needed.
- Will follow role assignments that are in alignment with the Patient Centered Medical Home Standards, and participate in all Patient Centered Medical Home efforts.
- Records data collected in appropriate EMR system.
- Reports patient observations to the responsible provider or staff nurse.
- Performs lab procedures as assigned, collects, labels, and processes all specimens including urine, stool, sputum, and blood as required.
- Provides patient with appropriate requisition, information and instruction for ancillary tests and procedures ordered by physicians.
- Stocks inventory and ensure cleanliness of examination rooms, equipment, and work area.
- Reports medical and office supply inventory needs to supervisor.
- Prepares specimens for shipment to external lab ensuring that specimens are ready and picked up by courier in accordance with designated courier schedule.
- Checks spiceworks voicemail and route phone messages to providers or nurses.
- Ensures that specimens are processed in accordance with established Howard Brown research protocol.
- Maintains patient flow.
- Participates in quality assurance process via data collection, evaluation of results, and implementation of recommendations.
- Participates in research project participant recruitment as directed.
- Performs data entry into Centricity as needed (i.e. referrals, depression collaborative)
- Demonstrates commitment to Howard Brown core values, mission, and vision.
- Participates in huddles.
- Performs medical reception functions.
- Mandatory attendance of department meetings.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Previous experience in a health care setting dealing with HIV/AIDS clients and written or communication skills
- Medical Assistant Certification
- Displays initiative in the work setting
- Must demonstrate exceptional written and verbal communication skills
Benefits for the positions will include PTO, sick/maternity leave, and tuition reimbursement.
To apply for a position, please send your resume to Denise Alexander at email@example.com and indicate in the email the position title and name of company.