The Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist will work interdependently with all healthcare professionals to provide optimal ambulatory quality healthcare to the patient.
- Sets up equipment, instruments and forms according to department protocol.
- Maintain infection control standards via cleaning and sterilizing according to scheduled maintenance program.
- Keeps appropriate records, order, sort, store supplies, and restock exam/procedure rooms.
- Maintains monthly par-levels of all supplies and medications i.e., workstations, exam and storage rooms.
- Ensure that environment of care is safe for both patient and employee.
Patient Care Responsibilities:
- Checks schedules, continually assessing and organizing patient flow.
- Report to appropriate personnel any delays in a patient’s visit from entry to check-out.
- Checks patients’ medical records for pertinent data; review and maintain current patient information/demographic data.
- Ensures that all pertinent laboratory, radiological, specialty reports are in the patients’ medical record prior to visit and notifying providers on overdue results.
- Follow up with patients regarding abnormal results and follow-up.
- Properly performs complete vital signs- height, weight, temperature, pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, head circumference (infants), patient history, allergies, vaccine status, and reason for visit.
- Administers vaccines and or medication per providers order.
- Performs CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) waived screenings per provider guidelines and quality control functions.
- Performs Phlebotomy/venipuncture tests, collect, and label specimens.
- Assists provider with various procedures-including holding instruments and specimens.
- Charts and tasks; including accepting and completing tasks
- Completes all needed forms completely and accurately.
- Relays instruction to patient and or family (Follow Notice of Privacy guidelines)
- Distributes patient education and assessments as appropriate for medical visit and assigned by provider
- Exhibits high levels of customer service and follow the Customer Service Performance Standards.
- Maintains patients’ confidentiality through patient contact as indicated by Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct and documentation at all times.
- Shares problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
- Remains available at assigned workstation at all times during working hours.
- Maintains open lines of communication. Checks email at least three times during working hours; in the morning right after arrival, after lunch, and prior to leaving at the end of the work day.
- Serves as back-up person to open, and close the health center in the absence of assigned individual/s and support coverage for other medical assistants as needed.
- Participates in the disease management or performance improvement process through either task force participation or implementation of approved protocols and operational improvement.
- Adheres fully to CFHC Policies and Work Procedures, Protocol, Universal Precautions, OSHA Standards, HIPAA, and Rules of Conduct.
- May be assigned to work at an additional site temporarily when needed and perform other duties as assigned for adequate patient care
- Maintains open lines of communication with providers, front desk staff and other clinic employees, and utilizes a team-based approach to coordinate patient care.
EDUCATION EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Completed training from an accredited Medical Assistant Program with several years of experience or certification preferred.
- CPR Certification will be require and maintained
- Prior phlebotomy training and/or experience required.
- Ability to work evenings and Saturdays.
- Ability to participate in Quality Improvement Programs.
- Bilingual ability may or may not be required based on individual department needs.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have an understanding of age-specific medical needs of all populations served
- Ability to problem solve and take initiative.
To apply, please send your resume to Denise Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate in the email the name of the position and company that you are applying for.