Requisition ID: 63630
Location: Presence St Joseph Chicago
2900 North Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60657 United States (US)
Daily Hours: 8
Standard Hours: 0
Employment Status: PRN / Registry
Employment Type: Regular
The Surgical Technologist provides assistance in perioperative cases. Selects supplies, instruments and equipment for individual cases. Scrubs for each case and hands instruments to physicians. Operates specialized equipment and cleans instruments.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Scrubs all types of surgical cases and performs patient related activities under the direction of the Registered Nurse (RN).
- Assists physicians and RNs with patient preoperative preparation including transferring patient from bed to chair or wheelchair and back using proper lifting and transferring equipment and techniques and completing data collection activities as assigned.
- Selects supplies, instruments and equipment for each case. Washes instruments between cases.
- Assists surgeons by scrubbing and handing instruments and scopes during surgery. Maintains the sterility of the surgical field and instruments.
- Reports pertinent patient case information to physician, procedure coordinator or registered nurse.
- Operates sterilizers and Steris systems according to manufacturer’s recommendations for the sterilization of instruments, scopes, etc.
- Performs wound closures as defined in the policy and procedure by means of suturing or stapling as requested by surgeon.
- Gathers data for quality assurance, monthly statistics and other reports or staffing schedules.
- Assists in the education and orientation of students in the surgical technologist program.
- Educates patients and families in accordance with the organizational policy and procedure for patient education.
- Identifies deficits in self-knowledge and skills, taking action to obtain education and training to meet personal goals.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. Other duties may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or GED required. Graduate of an accredited Surgical Technology Program or scrub nursing experience required.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office software.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
CPR certification required.
Surgical Technologist certification preferred.
To apply, please click on the link below https://www.amitahealth.org/careers/posting/?job=surgical-technologist-pcac-or-st-joe-s-hospital-chicago-63630-en-us