F1 International Student Status

Midwestern Career College is authorized to issue I-20 forms that allow international students to obtain F-1 and F-2 visas.

F-1 Visa

This visa is issued to nonimmigrants admitted to the United States temporarily to pursue full-time academic studies in colleges, universities, seminaries, conservatories, academic high schools, other academic institutions, and certain language training programs. This visa is issued to prospective students by a U.S. embassy or consulate after a thorough interview.

Upon the completion of the MCC admissions process and payment of the application fee, Midwestern Career College issues an I-20 form to the student. The student then takes the I-20 to a U.S. embassy or consulate in his or her country of residence, along with the acceptance letter from MCC and the affidavit of support with accompanying original copies of bank statements.

After the I-20 is issued, students must pay a $100 fee through the website http://www.fmjfee.com, which the U.S. Government charges to register new students in the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) system.

After the interview, U.S. embassy or consular officials will then issue F-1 visas to students who have demonstrated sufficiently strong family, social or economic ties to their place of residence to ensure their return after completion of studies.

At the time of application, the student’s passport should be valid for at least three years.

F-2 Visa

The spouse and minor children accompanying, or following to join, an F-1 student are eligible for admission in F-2 status if the student is admitted in F-1 status.

A new SEVIS form I-20 is required for a dependent where there has been any substantive change in the F-1 student’s current information, such as an extension of the end date of the program, a change of program, or a change of school.

I-20 Form

The official title of SEVIS form I-20 is “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Studies.” This form tells USCIS (United States Citizen & Immigration Services) who you are, where you live, what you intend to study, how long your studies will take, and how you plan to pay for your expenses while in school.

If you are granted F-1 status, your form I-20 is the most important document you will possess. A current form I-20 also serves as evidence of the legality of your presence in the U.S.

Once a student arrives in the U.S., he or she must continue a course of study at Midwestern Career College without interruption for at least one term.