The Humanities Instructor must hold an MA in Humanities, or MS English. Prior teaching experience in Higher Education GenEd, or equivalent. Hours: Tuesday and Thursday mornings – through afternoons.
- Minimum of two (2) years applicable experiene required in GenEd Humanities field is required.
- Teaching experience in post-secondary education at an accredited institution is preferred.
- Superior interpersonal, customer services, presentation and communications skills required.
- Creative, innovative and problem solving skills required.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to complete assignments timely and accurately with minimal supervision.
- Ability to utilize different methods and mediums in delivering course material.
Instructor is responsible for providing quality Associates degree level instruction; while ensuring student satisfaction according to program objectives.
- Teaches material from approved curriculum and develops daily lesson plans to include instructional aids.
- Develops daily lesson plans to include instructional aids.
- Assists student in Achieving completion of objectives. Provides regular and timely feedback to students
- Participates in school retention initiatives by maintaining productive contact with students and by getting in touch with and offering assistance to absent students.
- Advises students in matters related to academics, attendance and behaviors.
- Motivates student to actively participate in all aspect of the educational process.
- Maintains and reports student grades and attendance in accordance with company policies.
- Completes professional development and in-service activities in accordance with college standards.
- Participates in department curriculum meetings.
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Master’s degree in a subject matter or related academic sub-field of the Humanities, and teaching experience in lower and/or higher education. Candidate must also have at least 18 graduate credit hours in a subject matter or related academic sub-field stressing logical reasoning and critical thinking skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and the Internet.
- Able to obtain and maintain licenses if applicable as required by state or accrediting commissions.
- Evening hours may be required.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations.
- Outstanding conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated time management and detail-oriented skills
- Computer based skills (i.e., software, analytical, and report writing skills )
- Skilled in use of technology (interactive television, online and hybrid formats, course software such as Blackboard, video etc.) to deliver quality instruction.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines.
- Ability to develop a professional rapport with diverse school/campus constituents.
- Ability to develop and complete projects without continued direct supervision
- Ability to learn from students’ participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and shows compassion without being ineffectual
- Must have sensitivity and ability to successfully interact with diverse population
- English language (primary). Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to teach English, composition, and literacy studies across the disciplines,
Specialized Technology Skill Requirements:
- The position also requires personal computer skills (Microsoft Office, inclusive of Word, Excel, and Outlook), excellent spelling and grammar skills, and the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful and concise manner.
- Experience using multiple approaches to teaching and learning, such as incorporating technology, service learning, contextualized instruction, multiple levels, universal design for learning, or other research-based and innovative approaches that support increased student success.
Midwestern Career College is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Midwestern Career College will conduct background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Job Type: Part-time
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Required education: Master’s
- Teaching Humanities: 2 years
- Instructor: 2 years
Please email your resume and cover letter in confidence to email@example.com.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to set up initial face to face interview.