Surgical Technologist II
Department: Operating Room
Work Type: Full Time (Total FTE between 0.9 and 1.0)
Shift: Shift 1
Work Schedule: 8 Hr (9:00 am to 7:00 pm)
The Surgical Technologist II assist in patient care and surgical services under the supervision of a registered nurse. The primary responsibility of this person is to carry out the function of the scrub role during surgical procedures. Exemplifies The Rush mission, vision and values and acts in accordance with Rush policies and procedures.
• Applies the correct principles of aseptic technique.
• Establishes and protects the integrity of the sterile field and back table at all times.
• Recognizes breaks in technique by self and others. Takes corrective action and reports events to RN in room.
• Handles/secures instruments, cords, and draping materials utilizing aseptic technique.
• Applies the correct techniques of disinfection and antisepsis.
• Prepares instrumentation and equipment for decontamination per established protocol.
• Demonstrates advanced operating room technical skills.
• Participates in routine cases with minimal direction using the guidelines of the preference cards. Demonstrates competency in scrubbing all assigned surgical procedures.
• Prioritizes scrub activities based upon the type of surgical procedure and the needs of the surgical team members.
• Active participation in time out process.
• Correctly pulls and prepares sutures/other specified supplies per Operating Room Information System preference cards.
• Updates cards as needed.
• Obtains and safely assembles necessary equipment specific to the surgical procedure, surgeon preference and individual patient needs.
• Assists in opening sterile supplies.
• Applies knowledge of anatomy and physiology to individualize set up for surgical procedures.
• Self-directed in coordinating scrub activities for complex surgical procedures.
• Cares for and handles surgical instruments/equipment according to Operating Room protocols.
• Demonstrates manual dexterity in handling instruments and equipment.
• Assumes responsibility for proper functioning of equipment and maintenance of equipment in the room as delegated by the RN.
• Identifies specialty Instruments by type, function, and name.
• Accounts for sponges, needles, instruments, and other miscellaneous counted items according to Operating Room policies and procedures.
• Notifies the surgical team of any sponge, needle, instrument or miscellaneous count that is incorrect.
• Uses repeat back communications and key words for safety concerns.
• Maintains an orderly sterile field, Mayo stand and back table throughout the surgical procedure.
• Demonstrates knowledge of progressive steps in multiple surgical procedures
• Anticipates the needs of the surgical team.
• Communicates variation in surgical procedure to RN.
• Anticipates emergent circumstances and communicates the information to the RN.
• Dons personal protective equipment according to policy and procedure.
• Disposes of biohazard waste appropriately.
• Actively participates in maintaining each patient’s dignity and safety at all times.
• Works collaboratively with all members of the health care team to assure that (1) each patient’s privacy is protected and (2) every patient record is considered strictly confidential.
• Assists In transferring the patient to and from the OR table to the transport cart.
• Functions In an efficient manner at all times.
• Opens and utilizes supplies and equipment judiciously
• Restocks rooms according to the established par stock lists. Updates par stock lists in conjunction with RN team members.
• Demonstrates consideration and cooperation within the operating room.
• Consistently exhibits professional interactions with managers, co-workers, physicians and all other operating room personnel.
• Demonstrates flexibility by accepting routine and non-routine assignments.
• Offers ideas for clinical/system improvements to the charge nurse or unit director.
• Participates, actively, in unit/area meetings.
• Notifies the schedule board coordinator or designee when assignments are completed and when leaving the operating room during work hours.
• Demonstrates sound judgment and decision-making at all times.
Assists nursing personnel by carrying out additional duties as delegated.
• Supports the Rush Oak Park Mission.
• Continually improves personal skills to ensure the highest quality patient care, education of patients, staff and students, research and community service.
• Treats patients, visitors, and staff in a caring manner with respect, dignity and abides by nursing shared governance code of conduct.
• Exhibits the spirit of team in working with other ROPH staff.
• Demonstrates a willingness to accept positive and negative feedback and change behavior as indicated.
• Utilizes the resources of the hospital in a responsible manner to accomplish daily work.
• Carries out the components of performance necessary for successful ROPH employees.
• Arrives on time, as scheduled and prepared to begin work.
• Attends training and educational programs identified by ROPH as necessary for this position, completed prior to the deadlines.
• Provides age appropriate care, as necessary.
• Maintains a safe and orderly work environment
Required Job Qualifications:
• Graduate of accredited ORT Program.
• One or more years of clinical experience OR current certification by the association of surgical technologist.
• Analytic ability.
• Effective written and oral communication skills utilizing repeat back strategies for patient safety and teaching.
• Must be able to interact effectively with others in difficult situations.
• Flexibility with schedule to accommodate staffing needs
• Organizational skills for timely processes.
• Ability to document using electronic medical record systems, to check documents for errors and use a keyboard to enter or retrieve data
To apply, please complete an application on their website using the link below. After completing an application, please send an email to Denise Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can contact the employer regarding your pending application.