Job Title: Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist
Reports To: Clinic Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Date: January 2014
The Medical Assistant/Phlebotomist will work interdependently with all healthcare professionals to provide optimal ambulatory quality healthcare to the patient.
Essential Functions: Environment Responsibilities:
- Sets up equipment, instruments and forms according to department protocol.
- Maintain infection control standards via cleaning and sterilizing according to scheduled maintenance program.
- Keeps appropriate records, order, sort, store supplies, and restock exam/procedure rooms.
- Maintains monthly par-levels of all supplies and medications i.e., workstations, exam and storage rooms.
- Ensure that environment of care is safe for both patient and employee.
Essential Functions: Patient Care Responsibilities:
- Checks schedules, continually assessing and organizing patient flow.
- Report to appropriate personnel any delays in a patient’s visit from entry to check-out.
- Checks patients’ medical records for pertinent data; review and maintain current patient information/demographic data.
- Ensures that all pertinent laboratory, radiological, specialty reports are in the patients’ medical record prior to visit and notifying providers on overdue results.
- Follow up with patients regarding abnormal results and follow-up.
- Properly performs complete vital signs- height, weight, temperature, pulse, heart rate, blood pressure, head circumference (infants), patient history, allergies, vaccine status, and reason for visit.
- Administers vaccines and or medication per providers order.
- Performs CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) waived screenings per provider guidelines and quality control functions.
- Performs Phlebotomy/venipuncture tests, collect, and label specimens.
- Assists provider with various procedures-including holding instruments and specimens.
- Charts and tasks; including accepting and completing tasks
- Completes all needed forms completely and accurately.
- Relays instruction to patient and or family (Follow Notice of Privacy guidelines)
- Distributes patient education and assessments as appropriate for medical visit and assigned by provider
Essential Functions: Organizational Responsibilities:
- Exhibits high levels of customer service and follow the Customer Service Performance Standards.
- Maintains patients’ confidentiality through patient contact as indicated by Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
- Follows appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct and documentation at all times.
- Shares problems relating to patients and/or staff with immediate supervisor in a timely manner.
- Remains available at assigned workstation at all times during working hours.
- Maintains open lines of communication. Checks email at least three times during working hours; in the morning right after arrival, after lunch, and prior to leaving at the end of the work day.
- Serves as back-up person to open, and close the health center in the absence of assigned individual/s and support coverage for other medical assistants as needed.
- Participates in the disease management or performance improvement process through either task force participation or implementation of approved protocols and operational improvement.
- Adheres fully to CFHC Policies and Work Procedures, Protocol, Universal Precautions, OSHA Standards, HIPAA, and Rules of Conduct.
- May be assigned to work at an additional site temporarily when needed and perform other duties as assigned for adequate patient care
- Maintains open lines of communication with providers, front desk staff and other clinic employees, and utilizes a team-based approach to coordinate patient care.
EDUCATION EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Completed training from an accredited Medical Assistant Program with several years of experience or certification preferred.
- CPR Certification will be require and maintained
- Prior phlebotomy training and/or experience required.
- Ability to work evenings and Saturdays.
- Ability to participate in Quality Improvement Programs.
- Bilingual ability may or may not be required based on individual department needs.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have an understanding of age-specific medical needs of all populations served
- Ability to problem solve and take initiative.
The following activities may be required in the performance of routine duties, responsibilities, and job functions:
- Sitting for periods of less than 1 hour.
- Standing and/or walking for 7+ hours/day.
- Bending over and/or reaching over head periodically during 8 hours/day.
- Pushing, pulling, lifting, or carrying weights up to 25 lbs.
- Using medical equipment 7+ hours/day.
- Talking and making decisions 7+ hours/day.
- Writing and using math/calculations 7+ hours/day.
- Working at various tempos, concentrating with distractions, and working rapidly during 7+ hours/day.
- Remembering names and details, examining and observing details, and discriminating colors 7+ hours/day.
- Working with and around others 7+ hours/day.
- Working inside with noises, odors, and potentially hazardous wastes 7+ hours/day.
Normal office environment. Occasional evening or weekend work is necessary. Travel to all Chicago Family Health Center locations will be required.
The statements in this job description may or may not be “Grant” specific and are intended to describe the essential functions, skills and work required to be performed by employees assigned to this job as of the time this job description was issued, as well as certain other information. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified, and requirements and assignments are subject to change by the Center. Work schedules and/or location may vary, depending upon the scheduling needs of the department. May be required to attend meetings at other locations requiring travel and outside of normal work hours. Any changes in work schedules and/or location will be implemented in accordance with Center policy.
Duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted or changed at anytime at the discretion of management, formally or informally, either verbally or in writing.
To apply, please send your resume to Denise Alexander at firstname.lastname@example.org.