Midwestern Career College has an immediate opportunity for an experienced English Instructor, with a Masters Degree in English (specifically). ***This position requires a Master of Arts in English, is part time/adjunct only – on ground (no online). The class schedule is as follows: English 111: Oral & Written Communication – Monday’s 10 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., There may be possible Substitution for English 111, and/or English 112 on: Saturdays, 9:00 a.m. – Monday’s, 1:00 p.m., Thursday’s 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Faculty will be required to attend one Faculty In-Service Meeting, per quarter, and to promote General Education Program progression (e.g.,teaching the entire range of appropriate courses from beginning to advanced. Students in these classes are preparing for Associate degrees.
Adjunct English Instructor Education Requirements:
This position requires a mandatory Master’s of Arts Degree in English, along with a minimum of 15 credit hours in the area of English, reflected on college transcripts. An individual who has earned a master’s degree, who qualified to teach English at an Allied Health, and/or Community College, at the Associates Degree level. Prefer prior instruction 2+ years or more at an Accredited College or University.
- Previous teaching experience in a Community College, and/or Higher Education setting (2 years, minimum)
- Teaching experience in the following courses: ENG 101 & 102 (English Composition & Rhetoric), and ENG 111 & 211 (Oral and Written Communication- Basics)
- Experience with ‘work redness’ curriculum – Interpersonal skills
- Experience developing and adapting curriculum based on IBHE and COE College and Career Readiness Standards and adapting lessons to contextualize subject area
- Master’s of Arts Degree in English
- Experience with teaching Community College and/or AAS level General Education Public Speaking, Presentation Skills, Rhetoric and Grammar strongly desired
- Development of critical and analytical skills in reading and writing expository prose.
- Emphasizes critical thinking skills, incorporate research in basic English
- Special effort and skill in enhancing accomplishments of VESL, developmental and 100 Level students)
- One to two years experience in instruction or formalized education process, preferably in an Allied Health, or Community College institution.
- Complies with college policies and directions including but not limited to student testing, record keeping, grading, maintaining office hours for student and parent assistance, etc.
- Flexibility, and experience with adult learners, from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations.
- Outstanding conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated time management and detail-oriented skills
- Computer based skills (i.e., software, analytical, and report writing skills )
- Skilled in use of technology (interactive television, online and hybrid formats, course software such as Blackboard, video etc.) to deliver quality instruction.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and to meet frequently occurring deadlines.
- Ability to develop a professional rapport with diverse school/campus constituents.
- Ability to develop and complete projects without continued direct supervision
- Ability to learn from students’ participation, demonstrates fair and consistent behavior in all matters, and shows compassion without being ineffectual
- Must have sensitivity and ability to successfully interact with diverse population
- English language (primary). Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to teach English, composition, and literacy studies across the disciplines,
Mandatory Specialized Technology Skill Requirements:
- The position also requires personal computer, and Outlook, and Office 365.
- Excellent spelling and grammar skills, and the ability to communicate in a courteous, tactful and concise manner.Experience using multiple approaches to teaching and learning, such as incorporating technology, service learning, contextualized instruction, multiple levels, universal design for learning, or other research-based and innovative approaches that support increased student success.
- Midwestern Career College is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Midwestern Career College will conduct background checks on all job candidates prior to, and/or upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Job Type: Part-time
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Required education: Master’s
- Master’s Degree English: 2 years
- Teaching and Instruction: 3 years
Please email your resume and cover letter in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to set up initial face to face interview.